tips for starting a WordPress blog?
tips for starting a WordPress blog?
Steps before you start blog writing:
- Discover your passion/interest
- Open your laptop and get started.
Before I get to that, however, I think I need to clarify that WordPress offers two different solutions for bloggers. The first (and less desirable) option is WordPress .com platform. It’s a free platform such as Blogger or Tumblr, for example, and unless you pay for the premium price, you cannot use your own domain. This platform also has a lot of restrictions even after you have purchased the premium plan. That said, I really am clueless as to why people still keep using it…
Now, the second solution is a self-hosted solution and often referred to as the WordPress .org platform. This is the method I advise to all my clients as a WordPress designer and developer, and here are the steps:
- Purchase domain and hosting. Often you can purchase the two from the same company; I, however, advise my clients that they purchase them separately from two different companies. This allows for a layer of security in case your site gets hacked. Personally I love the following companies: NameCheap for domain, and Host Gator for hosting
If you don’t have web hosting budget you can get free web hosting from 000webhost.But I would personally recommend you to go for Host Gator.
WPEngine is also a great platform for hosting, but I love Host Gator customer service, and will continue to sing its praises for that alone!
- Point your domain to your hosting. Before buying any domain, I request everyone to please read blog posts from Domain in header sections .If you purchase both domain and hosting from the same company, then this step is irrelevant for as. However, if following my advice you choose to buy domain and hosting separately from two separate companies, then you will need to point your domain to your hosting services.
- Install WordPress. Practically all hosting companies come with a one click solution to installing WordPress on your server. Use this method to install WordPress.Click here to get Step by step installation of WordPress in Host Gator.
- Get rid of all pre-loaded plugins. These one click WordPress installations come with a few pre-loaded plugins that are completely unnecessary. One of the first things I do is to get rid of these plugins. Some such examples are: Jetpack, Hello Dolly, etc.
- Install Theme. Now it’s time to install your theme. You can use free theme that are accessible from Dashboard > Appearance > Theme, or you can purchase a premium theme from Etsy, Creative Market, or any other theme foundry. Personally I like the Genesis framework, and suggest you take a look at it on StudioPress. If you end up using Genesis, you will need a child theme to go with this framework. StudioPress has a nice list of child themes for purchase.
- Set up permalink. Go to Settings > Permalinks, and then choose a permalink structure that you wan. I use “post name” as it is a better option for making your content search engine friendly (SEO).
- Set your date and time method. Go to Settings > General, and change the date and time formats to the one you want.
- Install and activate some essential plugins. I suggest WordFence for securing your back-end. This plugin scans your site daily for malicious content. Polices all login and enforces some rules to make sure your site cannot be hacked easily. Anti-Spam is a good plugin to filter spam comments automatically. WP Smush is good for optimizing your image files. WP Fastest Cache is a great caching plugin and helps speed up your site load time. There are a few I recommend, but to start off, I’d recommend you get at least these plugins.
- GET STARTED
Last but not the least- Get Started! Start posting blogs- start with one blog a week, progress as you continue. In case you are uncertain of what type of a blogger should you be, keeping in mind your daily routine- head over to our article (link of the article)
Writing articles in pointers like “10 things you should………” or “5 places………….”etc. add preciseness to the blog and make it more engaging. The takeaways for the viewers become very obvious. If you want your blog to rank higher in the search engines, right content+ catchy images+ a bit of personal touch always does the magic.